Since starting my job I really try to make sure I am getting a lot of sleep at night. I probably get 8 hours on average during the work week. Some nights I get more and other nights a little less. Regardless, there are a few things I do each night to make sure I am able to fall asleep and get enough sleep. Some of these may seem obvious, but they all help me out!
1. Set my alarm on my phone and then put it down for the night: I could spend hours on my phone at night watching YouTube videos, scrolling through social media, or even writing blog posts. I try to limit that now, especially because I have to wake up earlier than I did in college for work. Once I set my alarm, I set it down and try my best to fall asleep.
2. Turn the fan on: I have a hard time sleeping when it’s completely silent. Keeping the fan on fixes that problem for me and makes it much easier for me to fall asleep.
3. Eat a snack if I am hungry: I have so much trouble sleeping if I’m hungry, so I will have a few crackers or something before bed if I am feeling hungry or if my stomach feels weird.
4. Pack my lunch the night before: First, this makes my mornings way more efficient. But also gives me more time to sleep in the morning. When I do this I can sleep in an extra 10-20 minutes.
5. Go for a walk or run in the evening: After a long day of work, running or walking can help tire me out a bit more so I fall asleep more easily once it’s time for bed.
Is there anything you do to make sure you are getting enough sleep? Are you a night owl or a morning person?